Sandy Conservative Bowls Club

Sandy Conservative Bowls Club History

Founded over 90 Years ago!

The Men's section was affiliated to the Bedfordshire Bowling association in 1927, four years after the Bowling Green was laid in 1923.

The ladies section was formed in 1947 and two years later was affiliated to the Bedfordshire County Women's Bowling Association.

During the 1970s, significant improvements were made to the green and surrounds, including new ditches, banks and paths. In 1977, Sandy Conservative Bowls Club celebrated its Golden Jubilee and since then further improvements to the green and facilities have been made.

These improvements culminated in the building of a new pavilion, which was officially opened on April 29th, 2001 by the late Lord Pym and the president of the English Bowling Association. Sandy Conservative Bowls Club green is used by Bowls Bedfordshire for its home Middleton Cup matches and has done so for the past number of years which gives proof that it is the best surface in Bedfordshire to play bowls on. This has indeed helped Bedfordshire qualify for the semi finals of the Middleton Cup for the past two years.

A high standard of bowls is played at Sandy Conservative Club by both men and ladies, with considerable success at County and national level. Sandy Conservatives have won the Bedfordshire County Pell Shield and the County League titles 6 times, and the Harmsworth Cup five times, doing the double of Pell Shield and Harmsworth Cup in the same year 3 times - more than any other club in Bedfordshire.

Three times in the last 5 years, the men have reached the last 8 of the national Top Club competition that takes place at Leamngton.